|Village (Visit Website)|
|Name origin: Gen. Winfield Scott|
|Motto: "Growing Smart; In Harmony With Nature"|
|Elevation||771 ft (235 m)|
|Area||3.03 sq mi (8 km2)|
|- land||2.99 sq mi (8 km2)|
|- water||0.04 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Density||3,228.3 / sq mi (1,246 / km2)|
|Incorporated||April 18, 1921 (1921-04-18)|
|Village President||Erik Spande|
|- summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|Area codes||630, 331|
|GNIS feature ID||2399715|
Winfield is an incorporated village located in Milton and Winfield Townships, DuPage County, Illinois, United States. The population was 8,718 at the 2000 census, and increased to 9,080 in the 2010 census.
Winfield is home to Central DuPage Hospital, one of the largest hospitals in the Chicago suburbs. Winfield has a Metra station on the Union Pacific/West Line, which provides regular commuter rail service to Chicago. Attractions adjacent to Winfield include the Forest Preserve District of DuPage County's Kline Creek Farm, a living history farm located on the west side of County Farm Road between Geneva and St. Charles Roads; and Cantigny, which includes public gardens, museums, golf courses, picnic grounds and hiking trails. Cantigny is located on the east side of Winfield Road, just south of Illinois Route 38, also known as Roosevelt Road. Winfield also enjoys parks and recreational services provided by the Winfield Park District. The Forest Preserve District of DuPage County also owns and operates several other open space areas surrounding Winfield.
The Village of Winfield was incorporated as a village in 1921, but has roots from the 1830s, originally known as Gary's Mill after early settler Eurastus Gary, and later, Fredricksburg, owing to a significant German-speaking population. In the late 1800s, the settlement’s name was changed again to Winfield after the war hero Winfield Scott.
Winfield is home to one of the oldest taverns in the Chicago suburbs, John's Restaurant and Tavern (formerly John's Buffet), founded in 1921 by immigrant John T Karwoski, grandfather of the current owner, John Karwoski III. John Karwoski was instrumental in the political and economic development of Winfield, and it was his guidance and leadership that took a fledgling prairie town clinging to existence after the railroad boom went bust, and turned it into a viable and livable village. Mr Karwoski became the first Chief of the all-volunteer Winfield Volunteer Fire Company in 1935. 45 years later, his son John Karwoski II was made Chief of the expanded Winfield Fire Protection District in 1980.
Winfield is also home to another remnant of the past, called Schmidt's Pond. In the late 1800s, Peter Schmidt dug a pond to provide a place to harvest ice in the Winter. Schmidt used the ice for his meat market, but also provided ice to the village in general. The property which is located between Park Street and Summit Avenue, just south of Town Center Winfield, also featured an ice house to store the harvested ice. While the ice house has since been turned into a private residence, the pond survives. The pond almost all but disappeared in the 1970s and 1980s due to lowering water tables, but has since returned, thanks in part to the village hooking up to Lake Michigan for its primary water use and a rising water table. The pond is home to many ducks, geese, muskrat, crayfish, frogs, toads and fish, and while the pond is on private property, it can be seen from Park Street and Summit Avenues.
Winfield was served by The Winfield Glimpses newspaper from October 1947 to October 1976. The Glimpses changed its name to the Winfield Examiner in November 1976 and ran until February 1992. A full collection of these newspapers is available on microfilm at the Winfield Public Library. Actual scans of selected stories and advertisements from "The Winfield Glimpses" can be seen at winfielder.wordpress.com.